Busy Microsoft released a total of four updates for the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update; a cumulative update that resolves several issues, two dynamic updates, and a servicing stack update.
KB4051963 is the major update for Windows 10 version 1709. It brings the build of the operating system to 16299.98, and was released on November 30, 2017.
The update is distributed through Windows Update, but can also be downloaded as a separate update from the Microsoft Update Catalog (where it was released the day before, on November 29, 2017).
The update addresses the following issues:
- Fixes the problem of Epson SIDM and TM printer not printing.
- Manually changing the time zone without disconnecting or restarting shows the old time on the lock screen clock.
- Issue where RNDIS5 network devices are not getting valid IP addresses or are not showing network connectivity. Microsoft notes that the problem may persist after the update is installed, and that administrators must remove and install the remote NDIS adapter again using Device Manager to correct the problem.
- Changes in Settings> Privacy> Feedback and diagnostics were not saved.
- Forza Motorsport 7 and Forza Horizon 3 will not run on certain high-end gaming laptops.
- Performance regression when running DirectX 9 games and applications in full screen.
- Applications stopped responding on systems with internet or web proxies enabled through PAC script settings. It can lead to a number of issues, for example Outlook being unable to connect to Microsoft Office 365, or IE or Edge being unable to render any content successfully.
- Loss of location-hash when browsing back if you “previously navigated to an invalid URL.”
- Form submission problem in Internet Explorer.
- Rendering of graphic elements in Internet Explorer.
- Problem with the IME text input window for Internet Explorer.
- Script-related issue that would cause Internet Explorer to stop working.
The update does not resolve the following known issue:
- IE11 users using SQL Server Reporting Services may not be able to navigate the drop-down menus with the scroll bar. To avoid this, press F12, select Emulation, and change the document mode to 10.
The two compatibility updates KB4055237 and KB4052342 are dynamic updates that improve compatibility for upgrading to Windows 10 Version 1709. Microsoft does not go into detail other than that, and it is unclear if they address any issues that prevent users from updating their systems to the Latest version of Windows 10.
Update 4054022 is a servicing stack update for Windows 10 Version 1709. It is distributed through Windows Update, but is also available as a separate download from the Microsoft Update Catalog website. Service updates cannot be uninstalled after they are installed, and if they are not installed, Windows is prevented from detecting the updates released after the servicing stack update is released.
More information on the Günter Born website and at