Microsoft Surface Duo finally gets Android 11 update
Microsoft Surface Duo, which was announced in October 2019 and launched in 2020 with Android 10, was supposed to get Android 11 in 2021, but that didn’t happen. However, the company hasn’t forgotten about its foldable as the smartphone finally receives the Android 11 update.
The update comes with firmware version 2021.1027.156 and increases the Android security patch level on Surface Duo to January 2022. It also comes with streamlined quick settings, an updated app drawer and folder layout, and an improved app experience. enhanced dual screen display. and edit photos in the OneDrive app.
You can check out the full changelog for the update below for more details:
- Update the Android operating system to Android 11. For more information about Android 11.
- Addresses the scenarios described in the January 2022 Android Security Bulletin.
- Enabled OneNote to launch when you click the top button on Surface Slim Pen 2. Requires Surface Slim Pen 2 to be paired with Surface Duo.
- Enabled in Surface Duo features, under Settings, to choose the preference for answering phone calls when folded.
- Enabled in Surface Duo features in Settings to choose specific apps to automatically split across both screens when you open them.
- Quick settings and notification width optimized for portrait and landscape orientations.
- Adjust media volume directly from quick settings in any device mode.
- Use thumb mode in Microsoft SwiftKey now with all device modes and app states.
- Updated app drawer and folder layout with improved drag and drop support.
- Updated Microsoft Feed layout with updated maps and new Microsoft Start widgets for news and weather.
- OneDrive Photos: New and improved dual screen experience for viewing and editing photos in the OneDrive app.
- Xbox Game Pass: Discover and play games from the cloud with an on-screen controller. Some devices, accessories and software are sold separately. Additional fees and/or subscriptions required for certain apps and features.
Microsoft says Android 11 is rolling out to the Surface Duo in North America and Europe, but those with unlocked AT&T units will have to wait as Microsoft “is still testing this version pending final approval.”
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in a new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in a new window)
- Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in a new window)
- Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in a new window)